Thirteen persons have been confirmed dead in 160 reported cases as cholera continue to ravage Gashua town in Bade local government area of Yobe state.
Daily Trust reported on Saturday that the victims were admitted at the hospitals isolation center where 6 people died out of the 62 cases recorded.
However, a laboratory test on 10 patient samples found eight positive, resting doubts whether the outbreak could be gastroenteritis.
Mr Hassan Gadaka, the head of Record and Statistics of the hospital told our correspondent that more death had been recorded increasing the number to 13.
"From our records now, we have 13 deaths out of the 160 cholera patients hospitalised. Among the dead was a child from the 18 children under the age of five admitted in the hospital.
"We are grateful to God, the death has drastically reduced because the state government had quickly intervened and provide enough drugs and personnel", he added.
He said the patients were brought from seven effected wards in Gashua town and one in Yusufari local government area: Sabo Gari, Lawan Musa, Katuzu, Lawan fannami, Zango, Sarkin hausawa, and kachallari in Yusufari.
The Sanitation officer of Bade local council, Adamu Saleh, noted that the state government has embarked on sanitation campaign to break the route of cholera transmission.
"We sensitized people on water purification techniques and other key household practices to improve hiegyne and prevent spread", he said.
However, residents in the affected areas have complained of bad water sources.
Muhammad Ali, a resident of Zango ward said that the only water sources they have are shallow wash boreholes that are mostly drilled at refuse dump sites.
"In most cases, both man and animal faeces on the dump sites contaminated the water. Unless government is willing to address this issue, cholera outbreak would continue ravaging our communities unabated. Because, this has been happening to us every year without solution from the government", he said.