ADVERTISEMENT

UniJos confirms 1 student killed in Jos violence

The management of University of Jos says that one of its students was killed in the violence that engulfed parts of Jos, Plateau State capital on Sunday.

A statement issued by the institution’s Principal Assistant Registrar (Information and Publications), Abdullahi Abdullahi also dispelled speculations on social media that seven students of the university had been killed in the crisis but stressed that one student had been killed while two others were injured and another missing.

The statement explained that, “following the unfortunate security breach that occurred in some parts of Jos metropolis, the attention of the management of the University of Jos has been brought to the plethora of unverified information being circulated especially on the social media about casualty figures said to have been recorded among students of the university.”

“It is claimed that seven students of the university have been killed as a result of the skirmishes. Management wishes to clarify that after a rigorous search was carried out, one student is still missing while one student was confirmed dead and two other students were reported injured.”

The statement urged members of the university community, especially staff and students to exercise caution and comply with all security directives during the period.

It further explained that the corpse of the deceased student has since been deposited in the mortuary adding that, “the injured student is still receiving treatment in the hospital while the other one has been discharged. Out of respect for the families of the affected students, the university authorities have decided not to disclose the identities of the dead and the injured but would do so in due course.”

The statement assured that the school management would continue to work round the clock in close collaboration with security agencies and the Plateau State Government to ensure that the lives and properties of members of the university community especially students are adequately protected.

Daily Trust reports that security was tight at the university hostels as the military and Police have been assisting in the evacuation of students.

However, Governor Simon Bako Lalong on Monday night met with the heads of state security agencies in the state to review the prevailing security situation within Jos city.

A statement issued by the governor’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mark Longyen stated that the meeting was attended by Operation Safe Haven Commander, Major-General Augustine Agundu; the Plateau State Commissioner of Police, Undie Adie; Director of the State Security Service, Babagana Bulama and Commander of the state owned security outfit, Operation Rainbow, Major-General Steve Guar (rtd).

The statement explained that, “while government and the security agencies are currently working round the clock to ensure an immediate return to normalcy, Governor Lalong has urged residents of the state capital to beware of the circulation of fake news in the social media by crisis merchants aimed at escalating the crisis and to always cross-check every piece of information they get.”

Download Daily Trust News App

Get it on Google Play
Share this article

Join us on


Join our whatsapp group here for Breaking News, Exclusives , others

Complain about a story or Report an error and/or correction: +2348189301900 (Whatsapp and SMS only) Email: dtonline@dailytrust.com

DISCLAIMER: Comments on this thread are that of the maker and they do not necessarily reflect the organizations stand or views on issues.