The United Nations has condemned twin suicide attacks on Saturday which left dozens dead and many more injured in Damboa, Borno state.
It is considered the deadliest attack ever on the town.
Acting UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria Myrta Kaulard, said, “Civilians consistently bear the brunt of the conflict and over 200 women, children and men have now been killed in indiscriminate attacks in the north-east since the beginning of the year, including in the town of Mubi last month in Adamawa State.
“I urge the Government of Nigeria to further step up protection of people.”
On Sunday, the UN and Red Cross airlifted 11 critically wounded from Damboa to Maiduguri to facilitate emergency medical treatment, in support of the state authorities.
Damboa town lies about 90 kilometers south-west of Borno capital Maiduguri.
The area hosts more than 90,000 internally displaced people, one of the highest numbers for any local government area.
Some 18,000 of them live in Damboa town, in five camps.
At least 20 humanitarian organisations are working in the town.
The last time it witnessed an insurgent attack was in July 2016.
It was taken over by Boko Haram in mid-2014 and then recaptured by the Nigerian military a few months later.
Humanitarian access outside of Damboa town in the rest of Damboa Local Government Area remains limited due to ongoing hostilities and lack of safety assurances.
The UN says the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria’s north-east, that has spilled over into the Lake Chad region, is one of the most severe in the world today, with 7.7 million people in need of humanitarian assistance in 2018 in the worst-affected states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe.
Humanitarian assistance available through the UN system targets only 6.1 million people.