Following a trending video on a cracking joint on the popular Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos, the federal government on Sunday assured road users and motorists that the bridge is “still safe” for public use.
The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Engr. Adedamola Kuti, in a chat with Daily Trust declared that there is no cause for alarm.
Daily Trust reports that a second video clip has been trending on the social media claiming a section of the bridge was cracking and that motorists should avoid the brigde and use the alternative routes to connect Lagos Island.
“We are just been informed that part of the 3rd mainland bridge has opened up and the bridge is shaking, people are advised to avoid the bridge and use an alternative routes available to avoid major disaster, pls send this to as many people as possible,” a WhatsApp broadcast message read.
But the Controller said the part shown in the video formed the expansion joints in the bridge which were discovered during the inspection conducted last year.
He said, “The expansion joint is bad and we are about to fix it. All the materials for the maintenance work are already on their way to Nigeria”.
Kuti advised motorists not to entertain fear, saying the bridge is safe for public use.
It would be recalled that the federal government in 2018 closed the bridge temporarily to conduct checks on the bridge.
The controller said it was after the inspection that the expansion joint was discovered to be bad.
Dear Esteemed reader,
As part of our drive to keep improving the content of our newspaper, we are conducting a readership survey to enable us serve you better.
Kindly take two minutes of your time to fill in this questionnaire.
Thank you for your time. Click here to begin