The Nigerian Military has denied the claim by United Nations humanitarian agencies in Nigeria that four of their staff were killed in an ambush by insurgents in Borno State at the weekend while conveying food to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
In a statement on Monday, the Military through Operation Lafiya Dole’s Deputy Director Public Relations, Col O. Nwachukwu said the report grossly misrepresented the true situation of the incident as none of the casualties in the encounter has been identified as a staff of the UN.
“In setting the record straight, it is necessary to state here that a patrol escorting a convoy of civilian vehicles to Logomani encountered an ambush staged by elements of Boko Haram insurgents at Maula village along Dikwa-Ngala trans sahara highway which resulted in a firefight between troops and the insurgents.
“The troops however, fought through the ambush, overpowered the insurgents and killed six of them. The troops also captured 3 AK 47 rifles, 3 locally fabricated fire arms, 4 magazines and a belt of 7.62 mm ammunition.
“Sadly four persons died in the encounter. Although none of the persons killed in the ambush has so far been identified as a staff of the UN, this Headquarters considers the lives of all citizens and indeed all humans sacrosanct, which must be protected by troops even at a supreme price,” the statement said.
The Military said the situation has been brought under control and further exploitation of the general area is currently being carried out by Mobile strike Team of Operation Lafiya Dole.