My husband is irresponsible, separate us, woman begs court

A 37-year-old woman, Mrs. Udoka David, recently urged an Alimosho Customary Court, Iyana-paja, in Lagos State, to dissolve her 10-year-old marriage as her husband has abandoned the matrimonial home.
The petitioner told the court that her husband, Moses David, with whom she had four children in their 10-year-old marriage, packed out of their house to an unknown destination.
“I do not know what is wrong with my husband; he rejected me and the children by packing out of the house, saying that he was done with me and the children
“When our church and family members tried to settle the matter, he said it was over his dead body that he will never accept me or the children,” she said.
She described her husband as an irresponsible husband and father, stressing that “my husband refused to pay our rent.
“He owes our landlord three-year rent; the landlord threw our property out around 9:00 p.m.
“I called my husband to inform him, but when he came, he packed his remaining belongings and left us there, laughing and mocking us.
“He told me that he has the money, but he will not pay, that he wanted us to suffer.
“It was my church that rented another apartment for me and the children,” she said.
In his defence, David, a 46-year-old labourer, said that he did not have money that was why he could not take care of his children.
“It is not my fault that I cannot care for my children, it is just that I don’t have money and a good job,” he said.
He said that his wife was stubborn that was why he left her and the children.
The president of the court, Alhaja S.O Mumuni, scolded the respondent for saying that he did not have any money to cater for his children.
“When you know you did not have a good job, you should have limited the number of children you had.
“How do you want them to survive, the children’s welfare should be of paramount importance to you.” she said.
Mumuni admonished the couple to maintain peace and adjourned the case till January 20 for counseling. (NAN)

Download Daily Trust News App

Get it on Google Play
Share this article

Join us on

Join our whatsapp group here for Breaking News, Exclusives , others

Complain about a story or Report an error and/or correction: +2348189301900 (Whatsapp and SMS only) Email:

DISCLAIMER: Comments on this thread are that of the maker and they do not necessarily reflect the organizations stand or views on issues.