Breaking News

Labour appeals to FG to fund mortgage bank, others

The Nigerian Labour Congress, (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have called on the Federal Government to fund its staff loans board and also pay up its shareholdings with the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN).


TUC president Comrade Bobboi Bala Kaigama made the call while speaking with Journalists in Abuja. 

He said the union was working jointly to look into the proposal before the National Assembly which seeks for the National Housing Fund (NHF) which is being remitted directly to the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN) to be split up into two.


He said, “TUC, NLC, Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) being leaders of members of the Federal Government Staff Loans Board are involved in every step being taken to come up with a lasting solution to address the problem at the National Assembly. 

“The two institutions are being established by law and we are being careful not to undermine one law in favour of the other and all of them are serving the Nigerian workers. The Federal Government Staff Loans Board only serves Federal Government workers while the FMBN serves both the federal, state, local government, private sectors including informal and formal sectors. So, we can see how wide the scope of work of the FMBN,” he said. 

Continuing, the labour leader said “We are aware that there are problems that needs to be addressed but we cannot address those problems by way of creating more confusion and that is why we have been meeting and joining head to see that contributors get the benefits of their contributions and we are assuring the Nigerian workers that with the new management team in place, Nigerian workers will be better off in terms of getting services that they deserve from the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria.” 



Join us on

Send DTM to 4900 (MTN) or DTM to 655 (Etisalat) for regular updates and more

Share your story with us: 08189301900 (Whatsapp and SMS only) Email: Or use this form

Complain about a story or Report an error and/or correction: +2348189301900