The demolition exercise which lasted for about five hours, affected the structures built along the proposed light rail lines.
Affected residents said although they had earlier been notified, Saturday’s event was sudden as it took them unawares.
They also accused the government of what they described as ‘selective’ demolition, saying some houses along the rail lines were spared during the exercise.
A woman, whose house was affected by the demolition close to the Court of Appeal Quarters, bemoaned the inhumane approach of the officials, saying that she lost property worth million of naira to the exercise.
“We pleaded with them to give us at least ten minutes to remove our belongings but they refused. If they had agreed we wouldn’t have lost all these properties,” lamented the woman, who craved anonymity.
Another resident, an owner of a three bedroom flat, who gave his name as Mustapha, said he was not around when the bulldozers stormed the area.
“I was away when they came, and when I arrived, my building was already down with none of my properties recovered,” he lamented.
He said although some of them were compensated, but the amount is so meager that it cannot afford a land, not to talk of the structure.
When our reporter visited the area, the affected persons were busy retrieving the remaining items, with the assistance of some bricklayers and friends.
Some scavengers also took advantage of the opportunity to loot people’s property.
When contacted, the director, FCT Development Control Department, Yahaya Yusuf, said those affected were duly compensated and given enough notice to move out their things, adding that the time given to them had since elapsed before the date of the demolition.
On the allegation of selective demolition of houses, the director said those houses that were not demolished during the exercise are yet to be compensated and would also be pulled down after due compensation.