1. Quit smoking: Take this critical step to improve your health and combat aging. Smoking kills by causing cancer, strokes and heart failure.
2. Keep active: Do something to keep fit each day. Something you enjoy that maintains strength, balance and flexibility and promotes cardiovascular health.
3. Eat well: Combined with physical activity, eating nutritious foods in the right amounts can help keep you healthy.
4. Maintain a healthy weight: Extra weight increases your risk for heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
5. Prevent falls: We become vulnerable to falls as we age. Prevent falls and injury by removing loose carpet or throw rugs.
6. Stay up-to-date on immunizations and other health screenings: By age 50, women should begin mammography screening for breast cancer. Men can be checked for prostate cancer. Many preventive screenings are available.
7. Prevent skin cancer: As we age, our skin grows thinner; it becomes drier and less elastic. Wrinkles appear, and cuts and bruises take longer to heal. Be sure to protect your skin.