Goods worth millions of naira have been lost to a midnight fire that razed three shops on Tuesday at Anguwar Sarkin Hausawa in Abaji town.
One of the shop owners who sold provisions, Alhaji Abdulrashid Buba, said the fire broke out at about 10:37p.m. after Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) restored electricity to the area.
He said he was at home at the time of the fire when he was told that his shop was gutted by fire.
He said all the goods in the shop worth millions of naira were burnt despite the effort of the fire wardens to put out the fire.
“I was at home when a call came that my shop along with two others beside them have been gutted by fire and before I arrived the place, the fire has already taken over the entire shops as no item was retrieved,” he said.
Another victim simply identified as Izu, who sells electronics said all the goods in his shop were burnt to ashes, saying the fire started from the provision shop and extended to his shop.
Our reporter, who visited the scene observed that the three shops, which comprised of provision, tailoring and electronics were completely razed down.
It was gathered that fire wardens attempted putting out the fire but goods inside the shops had already burnt.
Meanwhile, the chairman of the council, Alhaji Abdulrahman Ajiya, has expressed shock and sadness over the fire incident.
Ajiya, who visited the scene sympathized with the shop owners, even as he called on residents of the area, especially shop owners to always ensure they put off all electrical appliances before leaving their shops.
“It was unfortunate that we recorded another fire outbreak again, after a similar incident that happened around this time last year. And I want to still remind those who own shops to always switch off all their electrical appliances in order to avoid a situation like this,” he said.