At least 889 cases are suspected to be cholera in the latest outbreak declared in Borno state, the United Nations coordinator for humanitarian affairs says.
The rise comes five days after Borno government declared a cholera outbreak.
Nineteen people have died in the outbreak by Monday, the office said in its third update.
“In the previous flash update, 680 cases had been recorded, with 18 deaths. The number of cases has increased by 30 percent between 7 September and 10 September 2018, including one additional death,” the UN agency said.
Jere, Magumeri and Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC) have seen the largest spike in case numbers, largely due to the poor water, sanitation and hygiene conditions in these areas that are also congested. The first suspected cases were recorded on 19 August.
Dear Esteemed reader,
As part of our drive to keep improving the content of our newspaper, we are conducting a readership survey to enable us serve you better.
Kindly take two minutes of your time to fill in this questionnaire.
Thank you for your time. Click here to begin