ADVERTISEMENT

2 Fed Poly staff electrocuted in Ekiti

Two staff members of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State, have died of electrocution at the school’s campus while repairing a borehole.

The two men, whose identities were still unknown by yesterday evening, were indigenes of Ekiti and Kogi states.

An eye witness told newsmen in Ado Ekiti yesterday that the deceased, who were staff of the institution’s Department of Works, died on Monday while attempting to remove a galvanised pipe in the borehole for repair.

“As they were removing the pipe, it touched a high tension wire around the area. Immediately the pipe touched the wire, there was a huge spark that caused the electrocution of the two men.

ADVERTISEMENT

Dear valued readers, subscribe to the Daily Trust e-paper to continue enjoying our diet of authoritative news. Kindly subscribe here

“Their bodies were charred by the effect of the electrocution, while other supportive workers were flung to a far distance, miraculously unhurt,” the witness said.

When contacted, the institution’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, confirmed the incident.

“It is true they were electrocuted while they were performing their duties. It was a sad and regrettable incident,” Adejolu said.

He further stated that the Kogi State indigene had been taken to his home town for immediate burial, while the family of the other worker who hailed from Ado-Ekiti had been contacted.

 

Download Daily Trust News App

Get it on Google Play
Share this article

Join us on


Join our whatsapp group here for Breaking News, Exclusives , others

Complain about a story or Report an error and/or correction: +2348189301900 (Whatsapp and SMS only) Email: dtonline@dailytrust.com

DISCLAIMER: Comments on this thread are that of the maker and they do not necessarily reflect the organizations stand or views on issues.