Share this article
Africa is a beautiful continent, rich in cultural heritage and diversity which makes it distinct and unique among the seven continents. Africa has a lot of natural resources, as well as breathtaking tourist attractions. Travelling and exploring the continent will reveal some of the following interesting facts about Africa.
Did you know?
– Africa is the world’s second largest and second most-populous continent. At about 30.3 million km² including adjacent islands, it covers 6 percent of the Earth’s total surface area and 20 per cent of its total land area (Source: Wikipedia)
– Every country in Africa was colonized by foreign powers except Ethiopia and Liberia.
– Africa is the second most populous continent with about 1.1 billion people or 16 per cent of the world’s population.
– The largest lake in Africa is Lake Victoria and it is also the second-largest freshwater lake in the world
– Over 85 per cent of the world’s elephants and over 99 per cent of the remaining lions are found on the African continent.
– Nigeria is the largest oil producer in Africa.
– The Serengeti (Tanzania) has the world’s largest wildlife migration with over 750,000 zebra going ahead of 1.2 million wildebeest as they cross that landscape.
– The Nile River is the longest river in the world with a total length of 6,650 kilometres.
– Nigeria has the highest population in Africa.
– The highest mountain in Africa is Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. It rises to 5,895 metres (19,341 feet) above sea level.
– Seychelles is the smallest country (by land area). It is made up of a group of 115 islands located north east of Madagascar.
– Madagascar is the largest island in Africa, located in the Indian Ocean (off Africa’s East Coast). It is also the fourth largest in the world.
– Located along the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The Zambezi River is the fall’s main water source.
OVER 5,000 NIGERIAN MEN HAVE OVERCOME POOR BEDROOM PERFORMANCE SYNDROME DUE TO THIS BRILLIANT DISCOVERY
Download Daily Trust News App