The embattled National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has said it spent N500 million for President Goodluck Jonathan's campaign and at least, N100 million for each governorship candidate of the party across the country.
It also said it spent huge sums of money on campaign of its National Assembly candidates, stressing it would resist any attempt to do away with it before the expiration of its tenure in March, 2016. Briefing newsmen in Abuja on Monday, the PDP national publicity secretary, Olisa Metuh said the party realised over N8 billion from the sale of expression of interest and nomination forms last year, adding that some members of the party including ambitious aides and associates of President Goodluck Jonathan are using their perceived closeness to him to further their "heinous agenda" of injecting crisis in the party with a view to high-jacking the structure for their selfish interests. The party's spokesman said that the NWC would make the party's accounts public for the sake of transparency in line with the freedom of information act. "I can tell you from my own records that we generated billions. I think we generated more than N7billion, N8billion or N9billion. The first initial donation we made was half a billion to the Presidential campaign funds even though we were not involved in raising funds for the presidential campaign. "They generated campaign funds up to N21 billion. The party was not involved in it and the party cannot account for it because we were not involved in that money. It was a Jerry Gana Committee and they handled it and nobody can question us for that. “These monies were given to some ministers and some people to distribute to the state. In some states it was the campaign coordinators that we gave, in some states, we gave to the governors or directly to the candidates of the party. "In the North where the type of campaign that we generated made it impossible for our leaders in the North to garner support for our candidate because of the hate campaign that was generated, we are not answerable for it. Whilst I am not holding any excuse for them we cannot be held accountable for issues that were generated that worked against our candidates in the North. This is clear, all Nigerians knew that," Metuh said. He said the NWC members are pained and saddened that Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State had called a meeting insisting that the present crop of the party's national leadership should resign when they had spent about N200 million during his governorship campaign last year. Metuh added that President Jonathan, PDP governors and other key stakeholders of the party including governors and legislators-elect are deeply concerned about this development and have intervened to ensure the desired stability in the party, saying the NWC under the chairmanship of Alhaji Adamu Mu’azu is duly elected and is fully in control of the administration of the party until the expiration of its tenure in March, 2016 in line with the provisions of the party's constitution.
If you are happy to be contacted by a Daily Trust journalist please leave a telephone
number that we can contact you on. In some cases a selection of your comments will
be published, displaying your name as you provide it and location, unless you state
otherwise. Your contact details will never be published. When sending us pictures,
video or eyewitness accounts at no time should you endanger yourself or others,
take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws. Please ensure you have read the
terms and conditions.